Last month we announced that from 2023 – 2024, TNA will be partnering with the Australia Council to deliver a program of capacity building initiatives for the Circus and Physical Theatre sector.
Modelled on TNA’s successful Victorian Independent Producers Initiative (VIPI), this initiative will support CaPT independent producers across Australia who work with Victorian artists. It will increase the size and the diversity of the CaPT producing pool, targeting the lack of independent producing capacity currently facing the CaPT sector.
CIPI Producer Lab
This initiative will support four CaPT independent producers who are based in Victoria or who work with Victorian artists. Producers will be paid part-time for twelve months to support their independent producing practice while they participate in a co-learning environment.
Application dates for the Producer Lab are as follows:
- December 12, 2022: Applications open
- January 31, 2023: Applications close
- February 2023: Recipients notified
- April 2023 – March 2024: Producer Lab
Positions will be prioritised for applicants from TNA’s target groups.
CIPI Salons & Peer Coaching
- Six salons will be held in 2023, and 3 in 2024, for the wider CaPT sector.
- Two Coaching Programs that pair producers with artists will be held, one in 2023 and one in 2024.
Click here for more info on CIPI.
Safe & Sustainable Circus Rigging Program
This program includes targeted initiatives that will support circus riggers to meet the critical need of the Victorian sector for qualified and knowledgeable riggers. This follows TNA’s research highlighting rigger shortages and under-qualification.
More details to come in early 2023 on selection criteria and EOI processes for both of these initiatives.
Circus Riggers Ticket Upgrade
This initiative will support thirty riggers over two years to increase their ticket level. The aim of this initiative is to increase the overall level of certification within the industry, so (amongst other considerations) priority will be given to applicants who are upgrading existing tickets and to those with significant circus experience.
Dates for the 2023 round of ticket upgrades are as follows:
- March 2023: EOIs open (Round 1)
- May 2023: Recipients notified (Round 1)
Diverse New Rigger Scholarships
This initiative will support two aspiring riggers from under-represented demographics to undertake twelve months of training and accreditation to become qualified emerging circus riggers. More information about this program to come in early 2023.
- June/July 2023: EOIs open for new rigger scholarships
Australian First Nations Circle
This initiative will support the establishment of a national Australian First Nations Circle for the Circus and Physical Theatre sector.
- Circle members will be confirmed in early 2023, and begin meeting in March/April 2023
- The Circle will meet regularly online until the completion of the project in December 2024
- Two in-person gatherings of the Circle will be held, one in 2023 and one in 2024
This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body.